Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reality Bites

I'm fat.
I'm old.
I'm (evidently) not willing to do the work it takes to change that.
I will be 56 years old in a month, that is almost 60! Wow!

Yes, I would like to lose weight but like I said .. evidently it is not important enough for me to actually do something about it. Exercise.

Sometimes I get really depressed about my body shape. When that happens I really let myself go. I dress horribly, don't fix my hair, just generally don't care. But, then I snap and realize that the reality is that this probably isn't going to change and I need to try to be the best old, fat lady I can be.

So,I fix my hair, put on a little make-up, wear something that fits a little nicer and try to be content with the person I am.

4 comments:

E. Michelle said...

There is a lot in this post that seems wise to me, A.

I think you should be gentle with yourself and respect yourself At All Times.

Older women get enough crap from other sources-- a lot of messages that suggest you constantly need improvement.

whatever you do, however you do it, Do it for Only Yourself.

respectfully yours, btw,
e

Sandra said...

I agree with E. :)

be gentle with yourself, love yourself, and do what you can.

You are beautiful both inside and out.

Unknown said...

We are so fond of telling each other that it's the person inside that matters, not the outward appearance.

But when we look in the mirror, what a crock of shit! I want to look good. I want to not be grey, I would like my neck skin, my elbow skin, and my boobs to tighten back up to something that doesn't resemble a scrotum.
I want to be able to get a tan again, not just splotch in interesting patterns. This decay sucks.

I want to have someone look at me and wish they could look like me.

But, I've seen photos of you, and for a woman with grown sons, who is outside much of the time, and who has grandchildren, I think you look damn good.

aola said...

Oh, I love you Cara.. .if you were here I'd just give you a big ol' kiss!