Monday, October 02, 2006

hmmm....

I feel void of interesting information, but I will check in.

I weigh the least I have weighed for two years.
This feels great. I try on old clothes and they fit. It is a good thing: I feel more myself physically.


I moved last week, into a cute (rather large and expensive) apartment. this was a big decision. I just paid the rent and feel poor right now.
this week I will set up the place. I am hopeful that I will make it home really quickly, though we only signed a six month lease.
that will be the title of my next Rethinking E. post. Six Month Lease. That post will be the self-absorbed, melancholy stuff that will assure you that I am still alive in world being myself.


I have been two people for the past three weeks and I cannot say more than this without seriously incriminating myself.
All my life I have had a pretty Rigid SuperEgo, one that edited even my thoughts so that at most times, could you have eavesdropped on my thoughts, you might have heard something that sounded a heck of a lot like KLOVE, the christian radio network.
Lately the soundtrack in my head has given way to everything but KLOVE. I am now equal parts Miles Davis, Regina Spektor, and...um...Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas. You could possibly hear SexyBack by Justin Timberlake in my head and in my life. I have only been to church once in the past six weeks.
I hardly recognize myself.
My SuperEgo is on vacation, perfectly unconcerned about the London Bridge and how Fergie says it is falling. And I am left with my Ego, just my ego, to regulate an Id that has been forced to listen to Steven Curtis Chapman for a decade and a half.
I once heard that the SuperEgo is the parent of the self. It treats the Id like a child. The Ego then represents an adult person, neither parent or child of the self. Just Self. I am not sure.... but if so I am hoping that I develop an adult-identity that fucntions well in society and with myself. That sentence was weird, but if you are still reading and/or get this at all... pray for my Ego.

oh, and A, I am almost positive that this is not what you were asking for... but thanks for calling me out all the same.

oh, and I had a sundae today. I went out and bought double vanilla ice cream, dove choco syrup and cherries. yummmm!

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I understand this post because I was there once myself. It felt like I was walking on the edge at that time in my life. Moving off to meet a husband I met over the net. Walking away from church. Thinking about a life that didn't involve the rules I had grown up with. It turns out I was no where close to the real edge. I had just walked out of the buble.
I'll pray for your ego, but really I'm sure it will be fine. :)
It's great to hear from you.

E. Michelle said...

wow, sandra. thaqnks you for that response. I do feel on the edge...and I am dealing with the loss of the Rules... the voice in my head that used to demand obedience to those rules is silent now. And, like you said, I am for the first time out of the Bubble. really out of it, and through no real desire of my own... I just find myself out of it. I thought that post was too cryptic or suspicious, but you understood it so well.
;)thanks. and thanks for telling me I'll be fine... I have been a little concerned.

aola said...

This is just what I was hoping for... I know you are on a journey and I love to hear your thoughts.

Freedom is scary. It puts the responsibility on us. The "rules" made us feel safe because we were boxed in by them but once you lose the rules and can choose for yourself what to live, what to believe, what kind of woman you want to be... that's huge and scary.

I can't wait for the new post on Rethinking.

Kristen said...

Erica, you are such a psych major. :) I say that with love.

I am going through the exact same thing...and it's scary as hell to me. I haven't been to church (other than the occasional Saturday night service) in ten months. And I waver between thinking my soul is damned (once again, my own thoughts accuse me) and thinking, FINALLY FREE! Everytime I go to church or remember (anyone read anything about the new documentary, Jesus Camp? That was my life as a kid)...I think wow, was I part of a cult? A really loving cult, but still a really freaky place to be? Trying to figure all this out...

Not to put the spotlight on me or anything, just saying, yeah. I get this.

Congrats on the new apartment; it must feel nice to have your own place again.

R said...

So good to hear your voice in this post. It's odd to miss a person constructed of words, but I did miss you.

The best journey is the one you keep walking