Friday, March 30, 2007

Ready for the changeover

In recent weeks, I've mainly just been trying to eat what I want without judging the food or myself. Sometimes that meant steamed cauliflower and broccoli, and sometimes that meant cookie dough straight from the package. Pancakes for dinner. Kashi Go Lean and strawberries for breakfast.

I'm not ready for a strict eating plan, and I'm not sure I ever want to do that again.

I think I'm ready for truly intuitive eating. I was thinking about this while doing yoga last night. I kind of see it as a continuum with bingeing/overeating on one side and rigid, "perfect" eating on the other side.

OVEREATING<------------------------------------------>STRICT DIETING

Both are done, in my case, to fill an emotional void/to counteract a negative emotion.

I want to be somewhere in the middle, some sort of balance. Not to overspiritualize it or anything, but I think that's what God wants for me too. Not that He's mad at me when I struggle with either one, but that He wants what is good for me.

Two other notes:
-All of my formerly pregnant friends (did I mention all of my best girlfriends were pregnant and had babies within the last six months?) are now all talking about losing the pregnancy weight and getting back into shape. They ask me for advice and I want to give it to them, but I'm really cautious about getting them obsessed with weight and the perfect body. And I don't want to trigger those things in myself either. Of course, pregnancy weight gain is a pretty normal thing, and it's normal and healthy to want to get close to where you were before...

-I haven't exercised this week except for yoga and walking, mainly because it's been that TOM and boy, when you are off hormonal birth control, the periods come back with a vengeance. I'll be doing lots of walking this weekend in Seattle with my mom, and then I'll hit the gym again on Monday. YES, I WILL. (That's me arguing with my inner voice that says, "Screw the gym and go back to bed.") Only eight more weeks of getting up before work to hit the gym. By summer I'll be determining my own schedule and I will go to the gym after I am actually awake enough to be happy about it. :)

How is everyone else doing?

4 comments:

Sandra said...

You're such an inspiration! I know you'll find the right advise to give to your friends.

R said...

I love your continuum. Are your friends breastfeeding? It seriously melts off pounds, at least in my case.

I'm eating too much junk. I'm trying to think of veggies as snack food. In my mind, they're an entree, so I'm in need of a paradigm shift.

aola said...

I've been surprised at how quickly the dieting became a non-issue. I just don't hardly ever think about it anymore. I've always been concious of eating healthy (having a Mom who was a nutritionist helped)and am still very diligent about what we eat and our vitamin/supplement regime.

I weigh once a week just to check and still am holding right where I was.

I'm wearing one of my new flirty skirts to church in the morning - size 18.

Grace said...

My close friend and I used to talk about healthy eating and fitness a lot. Now, since starting Intuitive Eating, I've been very careful in choosing my words when she brings the subject up.