Friday, January 02, 2009

A cleanse (for your body) can be as extreme as a total fast for a few days, but, you don't have to go to those extremes to make you feel better and function better.

You could simply chose one thing you know you eat or drink too much of, like coffee or pop, and fast from it for a few days.

I usually do a three day cleanse when I do mine.

For the days that you are fasting, take a colon cleanse supplement every night. I use either psyillium husk or Colon Clenze - any health food store will have some sort of formula for this and they are all about the same thing, most of them are very mild and don't cause cramping.

For my cleanse I cut out almost all the caffeine (I HAVE to have at least 1/2 cup of coffee in the morning to survive :) but no other caffeine. I do one day of juice fasting with a small meal in the evening - try to only eat foods that are easily digested. I don't eat meat or cheese while doing a cleanse.
Then a day of fruit and veggies only, and the last day I add whole grains along with fresh fruits and veggies.

It's a pretty simple fast, not too hard to do and it will help you get started on some better eating habits for the new year.

I am going to start mine on Monday, the 5th.

Anyone else interested?

*another little note about detox - drink lots of water and if you drink water with a little fresh lemon juice squeezed into it it helps stimulate your liver for detox. Vegetables in the brassica family (broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts,etc.) are the best for liver detox. Of course, cranberry juice or cranberry pills are the good for kidney/urinary tract detox.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

1. Clean out the cupboards and put Jerry's stuff in the special place where I never go.
2. Get off caffeine - will take a week or so.
3. Three day water/juice only fast.
4. New plan with 1600 cals per day, extra iron, and lots more fruit and veggies. I gotta do it different.
I'm not in it to lose weight as much as I want to be healthy and have energy to play with my grandkids. Plus, my dad and grandpa have heart disease and I don't want to go there.

aola said...

me, too Jeanne - I don't expect to lose weight, I just want to live the rest of my life as quality. I have "stuff" to do!

aola said...

1-10-09

jeanne... how is the caffeine detox going? Over the last few years I have been forced to drink less and less coffee because it hurts my stomach so badly. I am down to 1/2 cup twice a day and sometimes only in the morning. I was like you - I LOVE coffee but it was killing me. I have done it gradually and it hasn't been too bad. I could probably do without it completely now but I just like it. :)