Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Dilema

I'm trying to decide....

Mark's life insurance policy is with AIG. We have been with them for years, ten or more years. This policy is a return-of-premiums policy and under 5 years old, so, if I cancel it now we will lose everything we have paid in on it. But, I keep wondering if it is just stupid to keep paying it. The government says it won't let AIG fail, but who the hell trusts anything "they" say? AIG says that the insurance part of the company is still okay... again, how can you trust what they say?

Will they fail? What in the world would I do if something happened to Mark and his insurance didn't pay off????

Life's a gamble and I don't know which way to bet.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

What about taking out a second insurance? Would that be feasible? At least you would know you were covered and you wouldn't lose what you've invested up to this point.

Unknown said...

At this point, I think the US government will do nearly anything to keep AIG afloat. It would be too expensive and embarrassing to let them fail after giving them so many BILLIONS of dollars.

I think you are ok. Read your fine print, and don't miss a payment by one second.

aola said...

We talked with our agent today who is also a long time friend. He pretty much said the same thing but he is going to look at some options for us.

the payment is automatic

Kristen said...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't--but probably won't be damned. I agree with Cara, and I think you are very smart to think about it.