Saturday, March 14, 2009

Oprah on Thursday was about shopping (for groceries)wisely, not buying prepackaged foods, buying what you need and not being wasteful, about cooking for your family..

For some reason I am always totally surprised at the number of women who don't know this???

I guess I am just old school but it still surprises me that there are so many young women who can't and don't cook. Both of my married sons have wives that don't cook. My sons do.

There was one woman on Oprah recently with two older teen boys and she admitted that they had not sat down at the dinner table together in TWO years! To me that is just unbelievable.

No wonder there is so much talk on television about bringing back the family dinner...

6 comments:

Sandra said...

It seems crazy to me too. We don't sit down at the dinner table every night, but we do when David is home. I love to cook. I can't imagine not cooking for my family.

Unknown said...

It's silly to me too, although CV and I do eat out quite a bit, or used to. Now that he's off work I'm teaching him the art of cooking for the coming meal and for leftovers. We have cut our going out to eat down to one meal a week, and he's just amazed to see the bank account stack up.

This week we had a roast that was on discount (big roast final price was $6.00 or so) cooked alone and spiced with just pepper in the crock pot. He shredded that up and one night we had burritos, one night we had BBQ and he made a great chili out of the rest that we ate with rice for the rest of the week. We spent less on our week's worth of dinners than on one dinner out.

aola said...

I love the sharing of kitchen duties, the sharing of not only eating together but the sharing of the preparation of the food. It brings us together in a special way.

Kristen said...

I never enjoyed cooking, but growing up, it was kind of a "least favorite chore" for both my parents and we had dinners at random times (but usually together). I'm starting to get the hang of it now (mainly because of an interest in frugality) and sort of (SORT OF) enjoy it. You all are an inspiration, of course. :) I really want Alyssa to grow up knowing how to cook and to enjoy it, so I have to pretend to like it for now.

Unknown said...

and of course I can't get over the Irony of Oprah talking about how to shop frugally for groceries.....

aola said...

yeah, I know... like she even shops for or cooks her own food