Wednesday, September 05, 2007

While doing some research to back up a conversation I was having over at Etsy, I found this article. While it has a much stronger feminine tone than I would normally take, I did find it's points very interesting. I'm always intrigued at how we came from worshiping figures like the one pictured here to those of celebrities today. What are you thoughts on it?

FYI, I ruffled a few feathers over at Etsy when I posted the following comments. I'm still a little confused about how I offended anyone.

My original comment in a thread discussing plastic surgery.

My sister-in-law is going in tomorrow morning for breast implants. I say if you want it go for it, but it does make me sad that women in general are so unhappy with their bodies. I had a long conversation with her about why she wanted the surgery and what role the media and society plays in how women view their bodies. She disagreed with me when I said the only reason most women have work does is to fit into a stereotype created by the media. We went round and round before I finally gave up. The thing is, I think she is beautiful and it makes me so sad that she can't see it because she is so busy trying to fit into a mold that no real woman fits into anyway.
I'll step down from my soap box now. :)

To which someone replied ( allow me to paraphrase) that my dear sister-in-law was correct and that most women don't get implants because of what the media tells them to do and that only someone with "pretty" breasts would say that because they don't understand what it is like to not be able to wear cute sun dresses and outfits. I of course had to respond with the following:

I do not have what would typically be called beautiful breast. In fact one is an entire size larger than the other. Wearing cute little sun dresses or anything that is tight is out of the question if I want to present my body as "normal". This is exactly my point. Who is to say that my uneven breast are not beautiful or that someone else's small breast are not beautiful? Why is it that in general we feel that only one body type (large breast, small waist, with curvy hips) is beautiful? Who defines that as beautiful? If flat chested women with a tummy role were plastered all over the media women would be standing in line to get tummy implants and breast reductions rather than chest implants and tummy tucks. Don't you think?


What is your take? Am I totally missing the mark? Am I a media-hating feminist for feeling like the majority of women are changing their bodies because of the image they sell?



2 comments:

Kristen said...

I avoid internet chat/boards for this reason. Hmmm.

I agree with you though, especially your second sentence! That sums up what I think.

Kristen said...

Regarding the article, I was just having a conversation with one of my old (male) college buddies about this today: What do men want women who look prepubescent? The article is right on that count. It's ridiculous.