Thursday, October 25, 2007

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the HPV vaccine. Erin's doctor recommended that she get it today but I held off because I want to do a little more research. The pamphlet of information they gave me lists staggering statistics regarding the virus. According to the pamphlet, 50% of Americans have been/are infected with this virus. While not all cases lead to cervical cancer, many do making cervical cancer the second most deadly cancer for women. It kills nearly 4,000 women each year.
Of course, there are some downsides such as, it only protects against the four most common strains of the virus, the vaccine is relatively new so the long term side effects, if any, are unknown.
I'm so torn. I would hate to not give her this and then her suffer later. On the other hand, I'm not one to buy into the practice of over medication that seems to be prevalent in our society.

4 comments:

R said...

interesting question
i err on the side of hypervigilance, but i've done no research on this and no nothing.
investigate my dear.
it might be a neat research project for Erin, teach her to differentiate between propaganda and fact. . . .

Kristen said...

I haven't researched it either, although I've seen a lot of the commercials. Let us know what you discover if you can.

Sandra said...

I did some research and haven't found anything different from what is on the pamphlet I received at the doctor's office.
I think that the vaccine is still so new there won't be much information for some time. Erin's doctor has only been giving the vaccine since July.
There is one other vaccine in the final stages of testing for the FDA.
The good news is that they are working on a vaccine that will be available for women over the age of 26, and they only recommend girls between the ages of 11-12 take it because they want to insure they have the vaccine before they become sexually active. So we have some time before we have to make any decisions.

Katt said...

I dont know what I would do. My girls of course are grown. Its a huge decission. In the research does it say anything about genetics? Does it run in families?