Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I thought Oprah might be interesting today since it was supposed to about being thrifty but it was not really. I didn't hear anything new, pretty much the same things we have discussed here and actually we have better ideas than I heard on Oprah. They talked a little about barter and exchange, a lot about coupon clipping which I am just not ready to do (because in the past I have found that you can just buy an off brand and save more money than using a coupon for a name brand), mostly about using common sense.

I was a part of a church once where the ladies from several churches got together once a year and did clothing exchange. It was fun. You brought stuff you wanted to exchange and when you went in you got a number - the number of things you brought to exchange - and you could pick out that many things to take with you. The things that were left over went to the Salvation Army.

So, I didn't' learn anything new to report and overall it just sort of pissed me off to sit there and listen to Oprah who has more money than all of us put together talk about the need to be thrifty.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I tivoed this. I guess I won't bother watching it. Saving money is starting to drive me crazy! David is really not on board. He hasn't come to terms with the fact that we are living on less than half the income we used to have. Maybe it will just take him a little longer to get it. Until then I think I'm going to start pulling out a set amount of $ for groceries each pay period so we don't overspend in that area. David and Erin throw whatever they want in the cart and it's driving me insane!

aola said...

Mark just rolls his eyes at me or ignores me totally when I talk about saving money or especially when I get all up in arms about getting out of debt. He just doesn't see the need.... he doesn't seem to connect the fact that he is working himself to death, literally, to pay the monthly loan payments. So, I just keep my mouth shut (most of the time) and try to pay things off as quickly as possible.

Unknown said...

We are an amazing bunch. I have started slowly building my food stores up, and CV just rolls his eyes. Meanwhile, The layoffs just keep rolling in and on and stronger and bigger.

I want to run for a bomb shelter, and it feels like nearly everyone else is enjoying a day at the beach. Are we the only ones who see the bright light in the sky is not necessarily the sun?

aola said...

My hope is that people will get smart and change how they live and not just momentarily. My fear is that things will go right back to the inflated way they were and no one will learn anything.

Jeanne said...

Oh my gosh! I am so relieved (sort of) to hear you all say this. My husband is the same - we could save a lot of money, but Jerry just won't make cuts. Plus, I feel so resentful because he sometimes complains about what I spend, but he doesn't give up anything - especially his cigarettes. Ugh!!!!

Kristen said...

Hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think it's going to happen, Aola. History seems to indicate it usually doesn't. Think about dieting for a long time--you sometimes binge later. It really has to be a "lifestyle change."

J is not as frugally-minded as me, but he's pretty smart with money.

Kristen said...

Oh yeah, and I watched Oprah, too--you're right! We've got better tips. :)