Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Creative Tension

There are lots of ideas out there as to what beauty is and i think my feelings on the subject reflect lots of influences.
I am certainly NOT a red lipstick in the daytime kind of girl- not usually, anyway. I think that reflects my sense of moderation, as Aola suggests- enhancing looks.

Still, thanks to Kristen Sartorialist link, i am starting to open up to our presentation of ourselves as possible art form. I think that idea is as old as tribal get-up, and i think the power suit, strong make-up combo should be analyzed for what it is: trumped up insecurity or learned behavior. Of course, it now occurs to me that i think everything these days is about power. I think small and tight shorts are meant to garner attention and influence.

I guess i think it is fun to analyze what we wear and how we wear it in terms of why we do that.
So, looking in my closet i see: lots of easy separates, a cute and slightly funky dress from anthropologie, lots of fall foliage colors. I happen to love fall! And i love whatever it is that Anthropologie offers me:artsy-quirky sophistication? Individuality in the details, though, you know, tons of women love the store.

I think my mother in law is really pretty. at nearly sixty, she is very very active! she works out faithfully, mows the lawn every week, works at a mother's day out, maintains a beautiful garden, oozes hospitality, and engages readily with her grandchildren. All while wearing younger clothes than most sixty year olds- but she gets most of them from Chadwick's so you know they aren't scandalous! She's fun and she puts herself together well, though simply. She loves the color green and spends on her favorite lipstick. She also has the most delicate little hands. She accessorizes, she is playful.
She inspires me.

I have one of those husbands who prefer the natural hair and face look. The new pictures on my blog reflect his influence on my style. I am a lot more casual and in my own skin than i used to be. I think that is when i feel my most attractive, when i am having a really great conversation with Chris, calm and clean, minimal make-up.
Good Lord, i don't think i really answered the question!
Love

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Basically you are saying that the most beautiful thing of all is when a person is being themselves whatever that may be, right?
I agree with that. Some older women can wear things that others can't just because it's who they are. I have a friend in her late 50's who wears her hair in these cute little pig tails that would look ridiculous on anyone else, but on her they work. I have another friend who is overweight but manages to look amazing in little tank tops and skirts. It's all about wearing what makes you feel good and not trying to wear something just because everyone thinks you should.

aola said...

Thanks for a great response Erica. Your M-I-L sounds like a beautiful woman.
Sandy, I totally agree with your comment. My sister could wear the most outrageous things and look like she just stepped out of a magazine. If I put on the same outfit I would have looked (and felt) like a clown.

E. Michelle said...

yeah, sandy. thanks... i think i lost sight of that point in the process of thinking it out. but, i think all of us looking like ourselves would be less like looking exactly like one type every season, you know?

R said...

gosh, i love the pictures on your new blog. you look at ease, comfortable to be you.

i think you and kristen are right about presenting ourselves being an art.

Kristen said...

"She loves the color green and spends on her favorite lipstick... She accessorizes, she is playful."

This is what it's about for me.