Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Natural beauty

I ran into a woman yesterday that I have known a long time. Sandy knows her - Lisa.
When I first met her she was in her early 30's and although she was a beautiful young woman I thought she always looked mousy. It looked like to me that she was trying to look the part of a mature, responsible, woman. Her hair style was too old, her clothes too old and too modest for such a pretty young vibrant woman. Okay, so now she has done a total flip. She is in her mid 40's now with two teenage girls. She was over tanned, sort of orange colored, her hair color was some awful red, her shorts way too short and her top way too tight for anyone's mama to be wearing.

I have my opinion about what beauty is, and, of course, it is just my opinion, but I think a beautiful woman is one who knows how to enhance their natural beauty without using too much make up, one who can let their sexiness shine through without flaunting their body parts.

What is your opinion of beauty? and how do you think we achieve that?

I sort of have trouble finding a balance for myself. I never, ever want to be guilty of trying to look like a teenager or a prostitute, but I don't want to dress or style my hair like an old woman either.

3 comments:

E. Michelle said...

Maybe she is trying to make up for experiences she should have had, when (as you say) she dressed too old.

i thought i would post a response to your post so...

Sandra said...

I can see E's point. I thought the same thing as I read the post. There is a time and place for everything and I think if you miss a part you will always want to go back and experience it. It also doesn't help that she has two teenage girls which only serve to remind you that you are no longer a teenage girl.
Beauty to me is confidence, but not the overbearing kind. It's a woman who knows her body and is comfortable with it. That doesn't mean you give up on yourself either. It is hard to find balance.

Kristen said...

Sometimes I give people props just for caring enough to get dressed. I admire creativity. But it is hard to see people trying to be something they're not. You know?