Friday, December 23, 2005

Aola

I feel privileged to be a part of this blog community. I have been blessed with having so many wonderful young women in my life.
And, I find the diversity of our ages, needs, and goals especially interesting.

Most of the women participating in this blog are much, much younger than I am. (I'm hoping Jeanne joins us too so there are some "older" women in the group.

For me this idea of blog community to give accountability to how we are taking care of our bodies comes at a critical time in my life. I just recently had a doctor tell me that my triglycerides are at a high risk level. My Dad died of heart disease at 58 years old. I am going to turn this around with healthy eating habits and exercise. I hope to stay off of pharmaceutical medicines altogether.
I feel very blessed to be 51 years old and have never had a serious illness or surgery of any kind.
I just need to adjust my eating habits and increase my activity and get the lipids under control.

From what I have read in my health books it seems the key to that is lowering carbs and increasing fiber and, of course, exercise.

I don't believe in fad diets, they don't work, in fact they can be harmful to your health and screw up your metabolism because when you crash diet your body kicks into gear to protect itself and lowers your metabolism so that when you come off the crash diet you will never be able to eat as much without gaining extra weight.
What I do believe in is living a healthy lifestyle, eating right, exercise, and sound mental health.
It's not easy to reduce stress in the lifestyles most of us live but I feel it is as important as any other thing you can do to stay healthy. Praying, meditating, yoga, walking... whatever works for you. I do a little of all the above.

I am looking forward to this season of our lives, being together with all you, thankful to know that you will encourage me with your words and pray for me to be successful.

Ok, Becky, it's your turn to join in.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Welcome, Aola.

You are so right about the crash dieting. Your approach to this whole thing is great.

Both my mom and dad are talking about doing Body for Life with me (my dad grilled me on all the details last night when we were Christmas shopping); I'll tell my mom you hope she'll join in. :) That will be nice for her. She appreciated the e-mail note from Sandra, too.

I worked out today (on the stationary bike) and it felt wonderful!

Love y'all!

R said...

I missed Sandy's email, so I'll be joining by comments.

aola said...

I missed it the first time, too. We will resend it!!