Friday, December 30, 2005

Miracle of Miracles

(That title is a shout-out to one of my favorite musicals, Fiddler on the Roof. Anyway...)

I've been away from the computer a lot...sleeping in once in a while, spending time with friends, celebrating the holidays with our various families...but you ladies haven't been far from my mind.

A little exciting news to share: my dad has decided to do Body for Life along with my mom. This is crazy to me. My dad is sixty-one and a smoker. He's actually talking about quitting smoking and taking an interest in his health for the first time in...well, since I've known him. So nearly 25 years. I'm not sure what is causing this change of heart, but I'm going to roll with it and help them as much as I can.

They are both fairly sedentary now, so they are going to do the weight lifting aspect of BFL together and start slowly on the cardio aspect. Doing the diet part together will help things so much. My mom won't have to cook one greasy meal for my dad while preparing something healthy for her, and he won't be tempting her with sweets all day. That is awesome.

One of our friends is giving us their old weight bench this weekend, and I'm going to walk them through the weight exercises I know. I'm so excited this is all going to work out for them. I just hope they can stay motivated. I am more motivated than ever by their interest in it.

Probably won't blog again until the New Year, but love y'all!

3 comments:

aola said...

That's great!!
I'm telling you, it is pretty motivating when you start looking at your own mortality :)
I've been surprised that Mark has decided to walk with me almost every day. He is small, a little overweight for his size (maybe 10 pounds). He works hard but doesn't get any cardio work out.

Tell your Mom and Dad we are thrilled to have them on board.

I'm still waiting for Jeanne to join us here.

Happy New Year to you, too!!

Sandra said...

That is so awesome Kristen!! Tell them we are all rooting for them and that we'd love it if they joined us here!
Here's to a new healthy year for all of us!

Jeanne said...

Kristen, you did great with coaching us! Thanks for everything.