Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Kristen's Fitness Goals

My broad, long-term goals are:

-Honor God by taking care of the body He gave me.
-Form healthy eating and exercise habits while I am still young. Not let my mood dictate how I eat and exercise.
-Increase my energy and improve my mental and physical health.
-Be healthy for pregnancy some day.
-Beat my sugar addiction day by day.
-Avoid becoming obsessive or perfectionistic about my health habits. Avoid talking people's ears off about exercising and healthy eating.
-Be a good example for my family.

How to achieve these goals:

Starting January 2, I'll be starting the 12-week Body for Life plan. The basics of this plan are:

-Eating six times a day (equal small portions of lean protein and healthy carbs, adding veggies at least twice a day)
-Three short interval cardio sessions each week (for me, that will be on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday)
-Three short weight lifting sessions each week (rotating between upper body and lower body on Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
-Drinking 10-16 glasses of water each day
-A free day, a chance to rest and also eat what you want (for me, Saturday)

At the end of this program, I will hopefully have gained some healthy eating and exercising habits. I'm not trying to lose any weight or size really, but I would be ecstatic if I lost some fat off my hips and thighs.

I have never liked my legs, and I'd like to improve them. That's where I carry my weight; my upper body is slim, but I'm a little pear-shaped. The thought of wearing a swimsuit next summer and looking cute is motivating. (I know it's probably vanity, but I'm just trying to be honest with you ladies. We all want to look and feel attractive and confident...)

I've never done a real diet or exercise program; I've always come up with my own thing. But I am excited to try this out. I need some structure and accountability, and this blog and this plan are both very motivating to me.

My main struggles:
-Saying no to sweets
-Getting up early in the morning to exercise.

Can you tell I've thought a little about this?

Between now and the new year, I'm just trying to get some exercising in and eat mostly healthy. Just maintain where I am right now. I would set myself up for failure if I started this plan right before Christmas and vacation, you know?

I'm looking forward to this blog a lot; you ladies really encourage me.

3 comments:

aola said...

Wow! your goals are much more aggressive than mine. You make me feel wimpy..
I will just be happy if I can keep up the walking every day and hopefully as I lose some weight and get in better shape I will actually feel like increasing my exercise routine.

Sandra said...

Great post Kristen! I like that you posted both your goals and your method to achieve them. You really thought about the journey as well as the end result.
I'm familiar with Body For Life though I've never tried it. I'll be interested to see how it works for you.
It's okay to be a little vain if that's what inspires you. I'm a little vain too. I wanna be able to look good in a swimsuit some day. :)

Kristen said...

Aola, you're just starting out. I was just like you in early last year, just trying to get a little walking in. Now I need more challenging goals. So don't feel wimpy!

Sandra, thanks for telling me a little vanity is okay. :) I tend to shy away from plans like Weight Watchers, Atkins, Body for Life...but I feel like Body for Life has sound principles I can carry throughout my life, so...we'll see how it works!