Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sandy and I are reading the Insulin Resistant Diet that Cheri recommended months ago. To be honest I don't really see that much difference in this diet and what we have already been doing.
Kristen has been telling us for a year now... add more protein.... well, that's what this book recommends, too. More protein, limited carbs, eat every 2 to 3 hours, make your snacks protein snacks, exercise, drink a lot of water, limit portion sizes... so, what's new about it?
The only thing that is different is the linking of the protein and carbs. She recommends that you never eat carbs alone, always with protein to stop the insulin spike that causes us to store fat. You can eat protein alone or veggies but never carbs alone and to not eat more than 30 gms of carbs in a two hour period... seems it goes straight to fat storage if you do.

This is what I've had today:

Bkfst (10:00) 2 eggs, 1 piece dry toast and coffee
Lunch (12:00) 1/2 cup low fat yogurt, 2 T walnuts, 2 T soy protein powder, 1/2 mixed berries and a sprinkle of granola on top
Snack (3:00) 1 slice whole wheat bread, 1 slice deli ham, 1 slice swiss cheese, and 3 little pickles.
Supper (6:00) chicken breast, 1/2 cup eggless noodles, 1/2 cup cooked carrots

I went walking after supper.

I will have my last snack at 9:00.

The book is right about one thing, I haven't been hungry all day long. It says the insulin spikes are what causes the cravings.

This seems too easy but I'm gonna give it a try and see how it goes.

The book does say a lot of good things about emotional eating and not starving yourself... I would recommend to anyone who is interested in good nutrition.

Thank you Sandy for doing this with me... what do you think so far?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Like you, I thought most of what the book said were the same things I've been doing. There were a few things that caught my attention. One was it's claim that carbs can turn into fat in as little as 2 hours. That blew my mind! The second dealt with over eating. The book says that if you are full you should tell yourself "It's okay, I can stop eating now and I can always eat more later." I've never considered myself an over eater really, but lately I've noticed I have a tendancy to finish whatever is on my plate even if it's a larger portion than I need.
The balancing thing is interesting. I'm totally willing to give this a try. What can it hurt? My mom leaves today so I'll start this afternoon.
You are doing a great job A!

Kristen said...

Yeah, that seems smart and common sense to me. The reading I've been doing lately seems to indicate the same sort of things. Glad you can walk again, A. My mom and I have started walking on Mon, Wed, and Friday mornings before work.

McMom said...

It really helped me! The other thing I do is to try and not eat many carbs after lunch, just veges and protein. If I do, I link them. I do not feel hungry as much either.

I hope it helps you guys!