Friday, July 14, 2006

Oh yeah, and another symptom of menopause is weight gain... YIPEE!!!

I am so depressed this morning. It's like I work and work and manage to lose a little weight, takes months and months to see any difference whatsoever and then if I slack off for even a couple of weeks I start gaining again.

I still weigh in every Friday and the scale has slowly been moving back up even tho I am still doing the weight training 3 to 5 nights a week. I haven't been walking because it is so freaking hot here but this morning I got up, put my shoes on and went for a walk anyway. It was probably at least 90 degrees at 9:00 this morning.
But, I am going to start getting up and walking anyway.

I still don't have the recumbent bike. There have been some unforeseen expenses come up, like having to buy 2 new air conditioners, a hot water tank, and a new washer this summer. So, it's been hard for me to let go of the extra $$ for exercise equipment.

What I have done so far has made me feel better. I haven't noticed any angina in months now and I feel better about myself so I just can't let it slip away.

So, take your best shot and tell me to get up off my fat rear and get busy.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Well, you may be depressed for other reasons...the unexpected expenses, for example. You may be just retaining water because of the heat. Are you drinking enough water? You have been doing so great, sticking with it and seeing results. I know the weight gain is discouraging, but you are in better shape (as you said) than you have been in the past. Focus on that and don't beat yourself up. I just don't see how you can when you've been doing so well.

Kristen said...

Well, I'm not going to tell you to get your booty in gear, because it sounds like you are doing well. You know, a lot of people will go on cycles of muscle building and fat losing--both intentionally and unintentionally.

I mean, some people will say, Okay, for the next three months, I'm going to eat well and lift weights and do very little cardio and gain some muscle. After that, they go into a fat burning mode and do more cardio and less weights (just enough to maintain their muscle) and eat in a deficit. And oftentimes, this happens naturally as well. It's very hard for the body to do both simultaneously unless you are new or detrained.

I have a feeling you might be in a muscle building mode right now. You are doing so much good for your bones and muscles with your weight lifting.

You have added complications bc of your hormonal situation right now. It's difficult to lose weight anyway, but with that added on...

You are doing well though, A. And we are all really proud of you.

Sandra said...

I second what Jeanne and Kristen say! You are doing awesome! Walking in the a.m. when it's 90 degrees can't be fun! Keep on keeping on. You feel better and your health is better. Those two things are far better signs of health than weight loss.