Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Is it really a better idea to run first thing in the morning before eating anything? I tried it this morning and felt like I had no energy at all for the run. Can I eat something small and still be okay?
Also, what do you ladies recomend for burning calf muscles while running? This morning they were burning so much I had to stop twice. This was after a 10 minute walking warm up.
One more question and then I'll let you go. Everyone recomends putting the treadmill on an incline for an effective run, but when I do this my lower back starts to hurt. I've tried correcting my posture and making sure my shoulders are back, but it doesn't seem to help much. Any suggestions?
My eating was off today. After my run I was in a hurry to meet a friend for coffee. After coffee I was in a hurry to meet with the boss to go over my taking over the job. I ended up not eating anything until 2p.m. I know that is crazy!!! I've never done that and let me tell you I won't do it again. I had a screaming headache and felt nauseas. It took me a few hours after eating something to feel better.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Okay...
1. Definitely eat something as long as you can stomach it. You might have to experiment with what works best on your stomach. (Some people eat a little oatmeal or a bagel or something like that--other people just drink some coffee and go.) Your fat burning isn't slowed down by this--what matters is total calorie expenditure at the end of the day.

2. The calf thing can be helped by eating a banana before or after your run (potassium clears away lactic acid). Gently stretch your calves after a run, too. If you're still having issues, you may be wearing the wrong shoes for your feet.

3. As far as the incline goes, try adding 1% every week or two. Don't just jack it up to 3 or 5 right away. See how that works and let us know!

I hate it when I don't eat all day; it totally messes me up!

R said...

Talk about getting with it girl! Great job!

I eat something before I run, too.

As far as the calf issue, I find curb stretching helps in the middle of a run and a deep calf stretch -- I'll try to find a link for an example.

For the back, try tilting your pelvis up. That helps me.

Sandra said...

Thanks for the advice ladies!
I started eating half a banana before my run. It will help with the calf issue and give me energy!
I think I may need new shoes. I have New Balance which I've heard is very good, but they are a little old so it might be time to replace them.
I'm going to try tilting the pelvis tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the info ladies!