Friday, August 11, 2006

Last Night

I RAN!

Well, sort of, not far, and not for long, but it was still a run.

This is how the miracle happened. I finished preparing dinner, and Sam was still asleep. The chicken needed twenty-five more minutes in the oven, so I flew upstairs threw on shorts, shoes and a t-shirt, grabbed Nate's cell phone, so he could call if me Sam woke up fussy and ran out the door with a few instructions for Nate. The minute the door shut, Sam's mama-radar went off and he howled. Nate shooed me out the door anyway. I now had twenty minutes. So, I just ran, down the driveway, past the neighbor's house, down the side-road. Eleven minutes later I walked, and then ran again. Miracle of miracles my body still remembers how to move. When I walked in the door, the timer on the oven was beeping and Sam was fussing about his breasts not being within three feet. Perfect timing.

Eleven minutes is a start for a woman who hasn't ran in ten months, and this morning I'm not sore, so if the universe aligns I'll try it again.

10 comments:

aola said...

That's great!!

Evidently you are still in pretty good shape!

Sandra said...

Awesome! You are amazing! I've been trying to walk/run a mile a day. In the next few weeks I want to up it to two miles. Running feels really great!

Kristen said...

I am so impressed, Becky! You rock! (I'm glad Nate shooed you out, too.)

Jeanne said...

Becky, this may sound selfish, but you made me laugh and that was so good. I am very proud of you for getting out there and proud of Nate for being a good daddy and husband.

R said...

That's great, Sandra! I want to run a 5k or a 10k next spring/summer. Do any of you guys want to train with me?

Kristen said...

Oh, I do! I am hoping to run a 12K in April...if I can keep up the training through the cold, dark winter.

R said...

Winter. Ugh. I know that Hal ____, (can't remember his last name) swears you can train on nothing but an elliptical and run a 5K. Let's pick a plan and do it.

Sandra said...

Me too! I really really want to train. I'm not a runner, but I've always wanted to be one. I'm going to use the trusty treadmill durring the week and maybe I'll run at a park on the weekend. You ladies tell me what to do since I have no idea where to start.

Kristen said...

Hal Higdon? :)

So...how do we go about doing that? Each set goals, weekly plans, etc. based on a good plan and the distance we're hoping to do?

R said...

Higdon (thanks!) has a pretty good plan based on minutes that works up to miles. When I first started running, I used it and liked it. I'll see if I can find it.