Friday, February 23, 2007

Kinda interesting

You'll see lots of studies like this one (and studies that are obviously completely skewed to find a result of "fat = death") if you read The Obesity Myth, but I just came across this one today: A study the media overlooked: being fat lowers mortality for women.

Her point was similar to what I've been reading:

"Sure, it could be said to be a minor correlation, but if it had supported the dangers of obesity it certainly would have been shouted from the rooftops. But since it didn’t, you never heard about this study."



I'm not sharing this with you all to say, "Everybody get fat now!" It's just interesting in light of what I've been reading lately. The whole "being overweight significantly increases your risk of death" idea that is so promoted in the media doesn't appear to be true. It's the risk factors that often (but then again sometimes do not!) lead to obesity (sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition) that increases morbidity.

3 comments:

aola said...

I don't think anyone would argue that being morbidly obese is not good but we've just taken it too far. I'm excited about reading this book.

Sandra said...

I've felt this to be true for some time. I refuse to believe that someone who eats a crazy diet but is thin is more healthy that me just based on the fact that she is thin. I feel healthy, my blood pressure is great, my endurance is good. Yeah, I have a few extra pounds on me, but I eat healthy and I workout. I've always known that had to count for something.

Kristen said...

When you're done with Diet Survivors Handbook, you might want to try The Obesity Myth by Paul Campos, Sandra. You should be able to get it at the library!