Thursday, February 22, 2007

A little discouraged

First of all, gals, I am reading The Obesity Myth by Paul Campos, and it is really good. The entire first section is Campos showing how many "obesity experts" (the ones you read about in magazines and newspapers constantly) twist studies to show how awful fat is. In reality, a fat person who exercises and eats fairly healthy will have the same mortality rate as someone who is thin. In some cases, the fat even seems protective against diseases. Furthermore, a person who is 75 pounds "overweight" (whatever that means) is often more healthy than a person who is 5 pounds underweight. These "experts" have powerful motives (financially, socially, etc.) to keep women losing "the last 10-20 lbs" over and over again, even though that is terrible for your body.

The first part of the book deals with the skewed studies; that is the hardest part to read, but also the most powerful probably.

I was particularly struck by a chapter on Susan Estrich. She's not one of my favorite people to begin with, but she has accomplished many things in her life (first female president of the Harvard Law Review, first female to run a presidential campaign, published a few books, mother). Yet according to her book, she considers her biggest accomplishment going from a size 12 to a size 6 dress.

Yuck. Seriously, how did we get here? A person can do amazing things, break barriers, publish books, become a respected analyst...all these things, and still not feel happy about themselves or worthwhile until she loses weight? I mean, seriously, size 12 isn't overweight to begin with! She wasn't endangering her health at that size...she just wanted to look smaller.

That is f----d up.

The reason I am discouraged about this is because when I told Jason about this, he basically said, "Well, who are we to judge what she considers her greatest accomplishments to be?"

Excuse me? It's like he couldn't see how incredibly sick this was. His attitude about it outrages and discourages me. It could be because he doesn't believe what I'm telling him about what I'm learning from the book. I think he thinks fat people are gross. It's sad because he is one of the least prejudiced people I know--he is kind to everyone--but when it comes to fat, he is different.


Part of me knows I cannot live in bondage to food, calorie counts, binges, etc. anymore. But the other part of me is desperately afraid that I will lose my husband or that at the very least, he will lose his attraction to me. (What happens then? Do I jump back on some crazy dieting scheme because of one person's--one very important person, mind you--thinks I need to be skinnier to be attractive to him?)

Part of me is scared that he's going to make our kids have eating disorders because of the way he talks.

Part of me is discouraged that I didn't marry a guy who is more concerned with the shit we woman go through. Any time I bring up any feminist issue (and I don't frequently), he clams up and freaks out.

I'm discouraged. Help.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

This is a tough subject because we don't have the power to change how a person feels. Do you really think that J feels this strongly about weather or not you gain or lose a few pounds? My brother-in-law is one of those type of guys. The comments he makes to my sister-in-law who as I've said before is beautiful, hurt me.

Kristen said...

Well, I was actually at my heaviest when we got married, and I dieted down to about 30 lbs less than that, and even though I've gained about 15-20 of that back, he hasn't seemed to notice...

Kristen said...

I guess I just worry about getting "too big"...

Sandra said...

I totoally understand that. It's a fear of mine to. It's the being so out of control that I gain 100 lbs fear.

aola said...

My first husband ragged on me all the time about how fat I was and for heavens sake I only weighed 130 pounds then. Not only was he shallow but he was just mean but long after I divorced him and I grew up a little I could see that most of his comments were made out of his own insecurity. He wanted me to think I was fat and ugly and that no one else would ever want me because he was afraid of losing me.
Mark has never, ever said anything derogatory about my weight,but, he did have some problems when I started talking about women's issues several years ago. It was such a shock to him because I had always been the "perfect little Christian Proverbs 31 wife" But, I didn't let that stop me. I just kept talking and voicing my opinions until he heard me. Not saying we always agree on every issue but he has to let me speak my mind.
I am not going to be silent anymore!!

aola said...

and.... I am so very glad that I have you women to discuss these issues with. I want Mark and my sons to hear what we have to say but for me it is more important to have women in my life who really understand.

R said...

The Susan Estrich example is interesting. For me, weight is about control. I wonder if it's the same for her.