Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Going deep

Last night I went to bed at eleven but couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned wondering why it feels different this time. In the past I've always felt the desire/urge to get healthy and lose weight. This time there is nothing. So I searched last night for the answer and it came. The truth is I'm so angry about this scar on my chest not just because it's a blazing red signal to everyone of what I consider a private matter, but because, for me, it symbolizes my bodies ability to turn on me, to let me down.
I've never considered myself a vain person, but maybe I am. I hate having it. I hate that no matter how healthy I am or how much weight I lose I will have a scar that belongs on a 70 year-old's body when I am only 30. I hate that I put on a shirt with a v-neck and take it off because the nasty voice inside me says "Yuck! No one should have to look at that!". I hate that it is there to remind me of one of the most scary times of my life. I know it speaks of healing and of making it through and of courage, but it also speaks of the opposites of those things.
Mostly, it reminds me that doing all of these things to make myself more healthy will tip the scale in favor of me being and staying healthy but it in no way guarantees I'll stay that way.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm pretty sure nothing I can say will make you love your scar. But, I am so sorry that you feel that way. Personally, I'm glad that you have the scar...it means that you'll be around for a good long time:) And, frankly, I don't even notice it. We all have reminders that our bodies can turn on us. From bones that ache to realizing that we can't do things the way we used to because our bodies don't/can't do that anymore. Yours is just a more visible sign. And I'm so sorry for that and for the pain that you are feeling because of it. I wish I could take it away for you.

aola said...

what Jen said... and I really do understand. Sometimes I get so tired of the trying that I want to just give up and eat myself into oblivion. The older I get the more I feel like my body is betraying me, but, then the survivor in me kicks in and I put forth the effort to keep myself as healthy as I possibly can. In the year Mother was in the nursing home I saw enough stroke victims to scare me into at least making an effort.We all have people that need us to do the best we can whether we really want to or not.

Kristen said...

Don't know what to say, Sandra. I suspect nothing will make it better. I hope you can come to some sort of peace with it someday.