Monday, August 31, 2009

Okay, I have made a decision and it was not an easy decision to make either.

I worry constantly about Emily's health and mine has not been good lately either. Normally, I can get things (illnesses)under control quickly by eating right and taking the right supplements and exercise but for the past year I have not been able to. I was not able to get my blood pressure down and have been on meds for about six months and they make me feel like crap. I have had this same nagging cough for over three months now and it just won't go away...

Emily just sits back there in her room and gets fatter by the day. Cutting calories didn't work, she can't exercise... I worry about her breathing and her heart and diabetes.

Today I started doing some reading and research about diabetes and insulin resistance. I read that the closest "diet" book out there for IR diet is the South Beach Diet so...

I ordered the book and I am going to put myself and Emily on the diet and stick to it for at least six months to see if it helps her. I know it will be good for me and if she has to do it so do I.

She is going to hate me. We are going to fight. She won't understand why. But, I am determined to do this.

So, say a little prayer (if that's what you do) or wish me luck or at least think about us as we struggle to get this under control.

4 comments:

McMom said...

You can do it!!! I am trying to follow Jullian Michaels way of eating in her new book Master Your Metabolism.

Sandra said...

I'm sending lots of light your way. You can do this!!

E. Michelle said...

my mom did that diet, because she considers herself pre-diabetic. She lost about fifteen pounds and has kept it off, without the book/diet. So I associate positive things with SouthBeach

Kristen said...

I've heard good things about it, too. I know it's going to be hard for you both--good luck and come here if we can support and help in any way. Any way to make the food more "fun" for Emily?