Friday, August 21, 2009

Uncanny

How we all seem to be thinking about this! I haven't checked this blog in a while--bad, I know. It's good to see you guys on here again.

About two weeks ago, I was doing some researching online about overeating/addictive behaviors. Yep, I answered a lot of those overeater anonymous questions with a big fat yes. Not good.

Long story short, I found an interesting "theory"--it's something I've been trying to do in my daily life and I'm telling you, my eating and motivation and exercising has gotten so much better. It's based on something called "addictive voice recognition therapy" (AVRT). The basic premise is that when we have an addiction to something (unhealthy food, drugs, alcohol), we have an addictive voice (sometimes they call it The Beast) who is constantly telling us to consume that substance. The real you is the one that wants to be healthy. If you can recognize that addictive voice and realize it has no power over you (over your body, over your limbs, over your mind) and ignore its siren song, you can gain power and control over your addiction.

The real me wants to be healthy for so many reasons--more energy, a good example for Alyssa, a better, stronger body. The Beast just wants me to take the easy way out every time--wants me to eat to deal with sad/bad feelings--wants me to eat, eat, eat until I'm stuffed. I'm telling the Beast to leave me alone.

For overeaters, another aspect of this is "playing TAPS" for your Beast. Basically setting up some rules for yourself in regard to:
T-Time
A-Amount
P-Place
S-Substance

I've basically told myself, no eating after 7:30 p.m. or eating in my car. This gets rid of fast food and the constant desire I had to leave the house after Alyssa went to bed to get something fatty and sweet. Seriously, sometimes I was consuming 500-1,000 calories in the evenings and going to bed with an upset stomach. As far as amount goes, I am just working on eating to satisfaction, not overwhelming fullness/stuffing myself like I was.

I haven't put any restrictions on myself for substance, but I have had about three (very minor) sweet treats in the last two weeks--before it was about three treats each day--and no fast food--and I was eating a LOT of fast food. Eating sweets and fast food just doesn't get the Real Me anywhere near my goals--and that's why I'm not eating them.

Girls, I resisted free onion rings. Dude.

:)

I don't know enough about this to recommend it to everyone, but I know it's working for me right now. (I've ordered the book for this, but I haven't received it yet; I'm just going off what I learned on the website.) But let me tell you, ladies, this has improved my eating by TONS. I used to shoot for 90% good foods--it was usually more around 50% and some days less. (Ugh, just admitting that is hard.) Now I'm eating about 95% healthy foods all the time. I was eating a LOT of junk--and this has really helped me.

I haven't really lost much weight, but I've gone down a notch on my belt, my stomach feels less puffy--and frankly, I just feel better. I'm not as swollen. I have more energy at the gym (and I'm making it to the gym and out walking and doing yoga more) and all day long. I am even thinking about getting off caffeine. Eeeek.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you gals. If it helps, cool. If not, no biggie.

I admire that you all are so open about what you are going through and that I have you to share with. Love you girls!

3 comments:

aola said...

I think that it is when we pay attention. So much of my life has been lost to not paying attention... I get distracted by the every day mundaneness and fall into bad eating habits and no exercise because I just not paying attention (listening to my true voice) I let the beauty of life slip by because I am too busy or too tired or too something-or-other. Then every once in a while we shake ourselves loose from the stupor and realize that we need to PAY ATTENTION and get back on track. Complacency and lethargy are not our friends.

We need to strive to be in the moment, every moment and deal with ourselves kindly by being healthy.

Thanks Kristen for the inspiration

E. Michelle said...

yeah, k. I really like hearing your processes. gives me something to compare my own to.

Sandra said...

I have a friend who joined OA and never looked back. She's slim, trim, and just did a half marathon. I couldn't be more impressed!
I think their strategy of coming at it as an addiction of sorts makes sense and addresses the obvious issue that many of us have with food. If it were as simple as willpower we would all be thin and healthy because we are a group of strong women!

Thank you for these tips. I really am trying to put some of them into practice.