Thursday, April 27, 2006

Off track

Do you ever feel like if you get off track for the day (or the week), you just feel like saying, "Ah, screw it!"?

It seems like every time I am really motivated and focused, something gets in the way: I get sick, I get injured, I accidently sleep in, I forget my lunch at home and have to eat gas station food, I forget I'm trying to eat healthy and eat a gigantic, sugar-filled 600-calorie blueberry muffin--just because it's sitting there!

What the heck!?

Anyone else find themselves there?

--------------

I'm also trying to figure out ways women can come to peace with their body type. Doesn't it always seem that we want to be exactly what we aren't? The curvy wish to be willowy; the big-busted wish to be flat. We fixate on our arms or thighs or stomach when another body part is the envy of our friends. Sometimes the area we fixate on is even the envy. (Not that we should seek to make each other jealous, but...you know what I mean.) How can we learn to accept ourselves? And how can we do this while still striving to lose fat, gain muscle and eat well (which does have an effect on our physiques) for health purposes?

5 comments:

aola said...

kristen.. we must have been writing these posts at the same time.. funny.

I know, as much as I would like to lose some more weight it really needs to remain a health issue for me. I plan on staying on track for life with the healthy eating, besides I really prefer the healthier foods and I have really come to enjoy the exercise so I'm not going to quit that but I do feel frustrated by the no change in my weight or waistline.

Maybe I was expecting too much change? maybe I should learn to happy the way I am, not that I am all that unhappy but ... you know what I mean.

Jeanne said...

I'm at peace with my body...I like my curves, but I'm so not healthy. That's the bad part.

R said...

It's such a delicate balance of acceptance vs. unhealthy. Trying to keep iron fisted control over exercise regimens and eating is exhausting, but loosening up too much is unhealthy, but there must be a way to live in the middle. I want to find that way.

Kristen said...

ME, TOO.

Sandra said...

That place in the middle is so hard to find!
What has helped me is to focus on what I am doing right. Rather than go over my list of didn't dos, I go over my list of did do's. I did have a healthy breakfast, I did turn down a fast food lunch, I did lift weights three times this week. When I'm focusing on all the dids, it becomes easier to do more. When I focus on the didn'ts, I lose motivation quickly.
I've given up looking at size and weight. Those things will come when they come and if they don't oh well. I'm tired of spending time wishing I were something else. I have a lot going for me now and I want to enjoy that.