Tuesday, April 25, 2006

We purchased a weight bench this weekend. In keeping with true Davidism, he picked one that was much larger than I wanted. The price was good. I started my workout routine yesterday by working my chest and back.
3 sets of 10 bench presses @ 65 lbs
3 sets of 10 incline bench presses @ 65 lbs.
3 sets of 10 One arm dumbbell rows @ 8lbs (we have to get more weight for these.)
3 sets of 10 barbell rows @ 45 lbs ( I could only do it with the barbell and no weight.)

Today I am going to do a HIIT session and tomorrow I will work legs & back. I'm not sure if I should be doing a full body routine three days a week or stick with the muscle groups split up like this for a few weeks and then switch to a full body routine. What's the best for a beginner? Also, over at Oxygenmag they talk about lifting heavy with a lower number of reps rather than lifting light and doing more reps. Is what I have above considered heavy and low? At the end of the third set I can barely lift the bar back up. I understand what they are saying, but the numbers are so relative and it's difficult to know where I should start.

I started off the morning with scrambled egg beaters and oatmeal. I hope the rest of the day stays under control. My weekend eating was not so good.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Here is a link to a good full body routine you do three times per week. I lot of women have used this to start out with:

http://www.oxygenmag.net/showthread.php?p=160708&posted=1#post160708 (Look at the whole page and see the routine "Thunder" put up.)

It has the rep scheme already done for you (5x6, 3x10, 2x15). It helps to vary your set and rep scheme for a number of reasons; ask me if you have questions. When the Oxygen women talk about lifting heavy for low reps, they mean heavy for you (you should be struggling on the last few reps), and low reps in the 5-8 range usually. But it doesn't hurt to do higher range things occasionally; it gives you a chance to have a "lighter" day and work on muscle endurance.

Let me know if you have questions, okay?

Sandra said...

Thanks Kristen. I had seen this thread and was interested in doing the workout, but on page 8 or 9 of the posts Thunder says that full body workouts aren't geared to beginners so I wasn't sure if it was for me. I wanted to post and ask what a beginner should do but they always say "read the stickies". Problem is, I read the stickies and was just more confused. If you think this is a good beginner workout, I will start it on Wednesday. Thanks!

Kristen said...

I think you could still use it, as long as you knew the proper form for all the exercises and pushed yourself (without going too hard and burning out). I wouldn't call you a beginner in some ways...you may be somewhat new to free weights, but you are still pretty strong. Form is the big issue here. What do you think?

Sandra said...

I'm willing to give it a try! I think I can manage the form. David knows some things about lifting so he is helping me.
I have a few questions.

What is a Romanian Deadlift? I've searched and can't find anything on it.

What would be a good replacement for pull ups/lat pulldowns? I don't have a place to do pull up or a cable machine.

Is a barbell row a good replacement for a seated cable row?

Thanks! :)

Kristen said...

Romanian deadlift-very similar to a stiff-legged DL, but the bar is in slight contact with your body (legs) the entire movement. Here's a step-by-step guide with some pics: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa63.htm

BB row for a seated cable row would be fine. Yep. Just keep the range of motion similar (work the same muscles, go horizontal or vertical depending). Make sense?

Pullovers are what I am currently doing for a pull-up/lat-pulldown thing, since I am in the same situation as you with a home gym. Here's a video and directions: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BBPullover.html.

One day I am getting a pull-up bar I can put in my door!

Kristen said...

Sandra, I thought you'd be interested in this thread: http://www.oxygenmag.net/showthread.php?t=20833