Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Good morning ladies!
I really need to be held accountable for my eating now that David is back in school and things can return to almost normal. He only has six weeks of school left, so I really need to build up the good habits.
So, I'm going to post here a link to my daily spark menu for you ladies to check. This week (my "week" runs Tuesday to Tuesday) my goal is to eat 2,000 calories a day with no little extras that I tend to add in.
I've seriously been emotional eating the last week because a) it's almost that time of the month and b) it looks like we aren't getting the house I'd secretly been hoping for.
My other goal this week is to make exercise about having fun. I read an article in Prevention this morning that inspired me. Here is a snippet from the article by Geneen Roth.
""Sometimes it is necessary/ to reteach a thing its loveliness," writes the poet Galway Kinnell. the reason to move is to reteach our bodies their loveliness. We live most of our lives in our minds, but the fact is that we are spirits clothed in flesh and blodd and bones. By not moving our bodies, we are we are depriving ourselves of connecting to that long ago child wh loved running, dancing, and jumping in the sun and air. We've replaced the singular, personal joy of moving outdoors with the grin-and-bear-it machine workouts. Yuck. So, what to do? Stop battering, threatening, and torturing yourself. Stop whipping yourself into shape. Understand that taking the misery (and therefore the rebellion) out of exercise is a Major Big Deal because it involved unlearning self-hatred and, as Kinnell suggests, relearning your own loveliness.
Now take a breath and do the following experiment:
Say to yourself, Okay little missy-it's time to whip that butt into shape! Feel the tension in your body when you say those words.
Then, notice the differenc-how your heart opens and your muscles relax-when you say, Listen, I know you've been trying really hard to have a perfect body. Either that, or you've been beating yourself up for not trying hard enough. How about an alternative to all that crashing and burning? How about starting to appreciate the body you already have?"

It's a really great article and it reminded me to take it easy on myself. We should all be a bit nicer to ourselves. :)
So, be looking for my food journal post and please make all the comments you want.
My workout for today will be a bike ride with Erin (provided that it doesn't rain) and full body strenght training.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Any chance you can post a link to the article? I need to get back into the swing of things, too. Disappointments do set us back, and I'm sorry about the house. :(