Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hi Ladies! It's hot here. I'm glad I work in a nicely air conditioned facility. It's a cool 68 degrees in here.
The workouts have been great. Erin and I have been riding bikes three days a week ( we rode in 91 degree weather yesterday) and I've been lifting weights three times a week. The diet has been better. I'm tired of food. Last night I didn't eat at my usual time because I was bored with everything. By the time I did eat I was so hungry I ate pasta. I'm going to the grocery store today to try and stock up on a better variety of things. Watch out Trader Joe's! :)
Kristen, can you please tell me more about Body For Life? Do you think the nutrition portion of the book is sound? I'm not worried about the workout part as I seem to be doing okay there. I just want someone to tell me what to eat and when to eat it so I don't have to think about it so much. I've heard the book was pretty easy to follow. What's your take?
Anyone have any good and good for you recipes for summer? Anything light and fresh would be appreciated! :)

The following is not diet related!
David only has four weeks of school left. (Imagine me doing a happy dance!) He took to of his ASE certification tests last month and we just found out this week that he passed both. I am so proud of him that my eyes are welling up with tears as I type. He always underestimates himself just because he wasn't good in school and didn't go on to college. I keep telling him that college isn't for everyone. He's so mechanically inclined. He can't write a paper, but give him a broken engine and he'll take care of it. Not to mention the amazing things he can do with a computer. Trust me, I've crashed ours enough to know that he can fix anything! :)
I just wanted to brag on him a little.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I have soooooo been there with the whole being sick of food thing! I've actually been thinking about doing BFL again, too. Just to simplify things.

BFL is extremely simple and has a large variety of food to choose from. Here's a link to the list of "approved" foods: http://www.bodyforlife.com/nutrition/foodlist.asp, but basically anything whole and healthy is just fine for you.

BFL recommends eating one portion of lean protein and one portion of (non-starchy, good for you) carbs for each meal (six total). At least two servings of veggies each day. Lots of water. Add fats (preferably good ones) sparingly, depending on your needs. Portion sizes are about the size of your clenched fist for carbs and the palm of your hand (a deck of cards) for protein. Very easy, huh? You may want to add up your calories once or twice just make sure you are getting enough (my small hands had me eating about 1300 each day--a bit low for me). Otherwise, no counting calories--very nice!

It definitely gets you eating "clean" and it keeps you satiated. Plus, you get a free day to eat what you want. (Usually, as we've all found out, our bodies don't want crummy stuff, even when we're "allowed" to have them. Plus, it gives you a chance to have that ice cream or whatever you are just dying for.)

Man, I think I've almost convinced myself to do this again! LOL

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristen said...

One more thing: Congratulations to both you and David! I know this has been a labor of love for you both. :)

aola said...

me, too. I stand staring at the frig trying to decide what to eat or what to fix and lately I've just been telling everyone.. fix yourself something when you get hungry.
I try to keep only healthy stuff around so they can't really go wrong.
The other night I had some grilled chicken leftovers so I diced it up, made a big salad with it and put tortillias out so we could either have plain salad or a wrap. It was good.
I've been eating lots of fruit, fresh melon especially.
I've been keeping protein bars around for Seth and Em to eat since I haven't been cooking much.

aola said...

AND ...

HOO RAY FOR DAVID!!!

Now he is a certified Mr. Good Wrench.

Sandra said...

Thanks you gals!