Thursday, May 11, 2006

Another question for you ladies...

Should I join a gym?

A little background: I’ve been wanting to join one for a while, but couldn’t find one that a) I was comfortable in, b) wasn’t prohibitively expensive, c) had free weights and a squat rack (my top priorities), and d) Jason was real happy about.

My friend, Becky, is joining a new one soon. It’s open 24 hours per day, isn’t too expensive (my dues would include all the classes, too!), has the equipment I need, and because I’d be going with a girlfriend, Jason is okay with it. I need to actually go there and see how busy it is during the times I want work out and make sure it doesn’t have a “meat market” feeling to it, but I’m feeling enthusiastic about it so far.

Pros:
-Spending money would probably motivate me to hit the gym more often. I’m a total cheapskate.
-Becky would be there most days to watch my form and “spot me” if I need her to.
-Meet new people, take new classes, etc.
-Lose the fat, increase the muscle!
-A place to run when it rains.
-I'll be able to lift more than one hundred pounds (when I get there, that is--my weight set at my parents' house only goes up to 100 lbs).

Cons:
-Wouldn’t see my folks as often since I lift weights at their house (although lately, I haven’t been doing it as much as I’d like to since the weather has been so nice, I’ve been walking sometimes over two hours a day).
-I have a really hard time getting my butt out of bed in the morning…oi vey.
-Stupid guys either hitting on me (no matter how hideous you look all sweaty, someone will do it!), staring, or trying to tell me how to do an exercise (usually they're totally wrong).
-I'm kind of a solitary person, so I like working out on my own.
-Jason will probably give me a hard time about it since he thinks all you need to be in shape are push-ups and sit-ups and a daily walk. Kinda true, but...

Advise me!

And lastly, I have a really dorky prayer request. I need to buy a dress suit this weekend, and I need to find that is classy, but inexpensive. Can you pray that I’ll find the right one for the right price? Thanks.

7 comments:

aola said...

I'll pray for your dress suit if you will pray for me to find "the right" dress for an upcoming wedding.

re: gym

I dunno, sometimes I really would like to join the Chickasaw Nation gym. They have a pool that Em could swim in and great equipment but I just can't make myself go do it. I guess I'm just lazy but it seems impossible to make time for anything extra in my daily routine.

Kristen said...

Will do, A. Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'd have to get up around 5:45 or so to fit it in...

Sandra said...

What type of membership does the gym provide? Is it a contract or month to month payment? I would check it out to see if there is any type of trial period. Most gyms will give you this if you push a little. Try it for a week at least and more if you can.
If you can pay monthly opt for that for the first month and see what happens. In a month you should figure out if it's something you are going to stick with your not, and you'll have a really good feel for the atmosphere of the place.
I'll pray for both you and A to find the perfect atire. :)

McMom said...

I am a member of the YMCA and am there most days. Having a place to go helps motivate me. When I try to work out at home I get distracted by all that need to be done around me. I tried to go out for a walk the other day and it took me forever to get out the door. I needed water, house keys, CD player , cell phone- on and on!

The Y also offers classes. I take Pilates. I am headed there now!

McMom said...

I'll pray for the search for a suit Kristen and your dress A!!!

R said...

I do well at a gym in the winter time -- not so great in the summer time. I'd rather be outside.

Kristen said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm going by the gym today to check it out...I'll let you know what I end up deciding.