Thursday, May 04, 2006

Have I mentioned that the ladies who go to my Curves are the best! Today I was feeling really down about the diet/exercise and they gave me the best pep talk. It was nice to know that they believe in me and can see the positive changes I'm making. The difficulty I'm having is believing that what I'm doing will work. It's probably because all that I've ever heard about weight loss is eat less. Logically, I can see that eating more is the way to go for long term results, but that little voice that says "You are going to gain 100 pounds if you don't stop eating!" won't shut up sometimes. There is also the issue of working out. Everything in the media says "more cardio", and now for the first time since high school, I find myself doing less. It's a difficult adjustment, but one I am committed to. As we talked about it and I voiced all of my concerns to these ladies, they were so supportive and kind. It helped me to take my focus off of what may happen and put it on what is happening and on what I am doing now to make changes. The fact is, I'm from a "right now" generation. We want what we want when we want it. Waiting is foreign to most of us. Waiting weeks or months to see results is tough, but it's what I have to do.

My workouts have been great! I lifted Monday and Wednesday. I ran yesterday, but didn't do too much because I've been fairly sore. I'm not putting too much pressure on myself thanks to Kristen's advice. My eating has been fantastic! I'm learning that the things I thought I wanted when it comes to food aren't really what I want at all. Healthy food just makes you feel better!

2 comments:

aola said...

just keep remembering that every little "good" thing you do is making you healthier and stronger. You are so young, I promise that in the years to come you will be glad you started this now!

Isn't it funny that now when you eat junk your body reacts badly to it.. now see, that is progress!!

Kristen said...

It's so true. Even if I want the taste of a bad food in my mouth, the pleasure is so temporary. It ends up giving me a stomachache most of the time.

Sandra, I totally agree. We literally have to think in terms of months and years and setting our bodies up to be healthy and strong rather than a few temporary lost pounds. This is a struggle for me, too!

(BTW, there is a gal on the Oxygen forum you may like; her screenname is Liberty. She lost over 80 lbs through lifting and a handful of cardio sessions. Very cool, encouraging and inspiring.)