Saturday, May 20, 2006

Confession time...

Although I had a wonderful time with my family this weekend, enjoyed everything we did, my self-esteem really took a beating.

I felt good enough about myself to wear a sleeveless shirt out in public, something I haven't done in years because of the flabby arm syndrome and felt sure I could enjoy swimming with the kids, too. But, once we got to the hotel I just could not make myself wear my old swim suit. It is too small in the bust and I just squeeze out everywhere in it. So, I thought... well, I'll just go buy me a new one that fits a little better and then I will go swimming with them. I found Emily and me both really cute two piece tankinies (sp?) and went back to the hotel. She looked adorable in hers. I put my mine on and couldn't even come out of the bathroom. I really don't think it looked that bad on me it was just ..... just... looking in that huge mirror at that 51 year old woman in a swim suit. No one should have to look at a 51 year old woman in a swim suit, especially not the woman standing in front of the mirror.
I just couldn't go parading through the lobby and into to the pool room. I just couldn't do it.

The kids were disappointed. Mark was disappointed. I was disappointed that I couldn't make myself feel better about being who I am... an old woman.

I keep telling myself that our society and culture is so screwed up, that we don't know how to embrace each season as it comes. We have very little appreciation for our elderly. As women we have a skewed idea of what beauty is.

I know all this stuff.

But, I still couldn't come out of the bathrooom.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Girlfriend, I am so with you. And I can't figure it out. It should not matter what anyone else says or thinks. I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I feel ya.

Sandra said...

I so feel your pain. I am not 51, but the thought of anyone else seeing me in a swimsuit makes me feel sick. Today I tried on my swimsuit from last year because we are planning on going to David's sisters house for Memorial Day weekend. I was horrified by what I saw and immediatly planned on canceling the trip. I simply don't want anyone else to see me in that stupid suit. I doubt that I'll be able to convince myself to wear it.

Kristen said...

This may sound silly coming from a young'un, but I understand.

Jeanne said...

So what's it about? For me, for some reason I don't know, it's associated with shame. I'm thinking/praying about it because I want to understand it.

R said...

It's not just being elderly . . . I do this every freaking year, and you know me, I live in a swimsuit when I can.

It sucks that we all go through this. I love that you were so honest and open about it, and I'd love to find a way around it, through it.

PeaceBang said...

I have the self-hates for a few minutes and then I tie on a really cute pareo, throw on some bright lipstick and an adorable hat, some fun sandals (with a heel), and off I go.
I make sure to wear minimal clothing in my own backyard or when gardening to get my chub out into the fresh air. If someone stops by and sees me, that's THEIR trauma.
Tip: buy men's swimming shorts to wear over your suit; they cost about a tenth of what they charge for women's swim shorts!