Sunday, May 07, 2006

I have a quick question about something thats been confusing me for a while now. What is the difference between Quick Oats, which have listend in the ingredients only 100% rolled oats, and Old Fashioned Oatmeal which has the same ingredient? The nutritional value seems to be the same, but I see on all the boards that everyone says Old Fashioned Oatmeal only. Is this just to say no instant oatmeal which has all the yucky aditives or Quick oats too? I'm very confused.
I didn't lift Friday because David wanted me to show him my routine Saturday. He ended up having to work and I went to an art and wine festival and walked for four plus hours. By the time I got home at 7:30 I didn't feel like lifting. I think it was a combination of being out in the sun all day and not eating every 2-3 hours like I normaly do. I didn't eat any of the yummy food that tempted me at the festival, but I did have two slices of pizza when I came home. Evil pizza!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Pizza happens! LOL Still...four hours of walking! Wow!

I don't think there is a difference with quick oats and steel cut oats, but maybe Aola knows. ??? (Most of the stuff on the boards is about people eating instant oatmeal with the brown sugar and cream already mixed in, you know?)

Sandra said...

Yeah, that is kind of what I thought but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks Kristen!

aola said...

I would imagine it is the way they process the Quick Oats so that they cook faster. Everything I have read recommends Old Fashioned and I'm sure it is because they have more of what's good for you in them.

I thought pizza was health food!! bread, tom. sauce combined with olive oil, veggies, cheese.. how could that be bad ?????? LOL

Sandra said...

I looked up the info for Quick Oats vs. Old Fashioned. It says that they have the exact same nutritional value the quick oats are just cut smaller to cook faster. This means that they raise the blood sugar faster because they don't take as long to digest. However on the glicemic index list, Old Fashioned Oats are a 66 and Quick oats are a 65. I'm not sure that is enough of a difference to make it matter to me. Some sites just recomended cooking them for less time which they also recomend for old fashioned oats. The longer you cook them the less time it takes to digest as well. They should be chewy. Just thought I'd let you all know what I fould out. :)
I agree Aola! Pizza is good for you. :)