Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Did anyone else watch Oprah on Monday? I tivo'd it and watched it this evening. Other than being completely grossed out by the open heart surgery, I thought it was a great show. It was full of information, most of which I already know, but some stuff was new to me. The doctor recommended keeping raw almonds and olive oil in the refrigerator. He said that eating roasted almonds is about the same as eating hydrogenated oil. The roasting ruins the good fat. His list of foods we should be eating at least once a week included; tomatoes preferably in a paste or sauce form (mixed with olive oil for best absorption), spinach, olive oil, raw almonds, and pomegranate fruit or juice.
The flag words on food labels are partially hydrogenated, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and enriched. If any of these are in the first five ingredients you should throw it out. Surprise, the Zone bars I was eating up until two weeks ago have high fructose corn syrup in them. I knew it was a no no but didn't realize it was so bad. Basically he said that it interferes with lectopine (?) which is what gives our mind the signal that we are full. One of the things he said that surprised me was that it's not the 150 calories in a soda that are so bad for a person. It's the fact that a person who has a soda with a meal tends to eat an additional 100-200 calories at that meal because the brain does not receive the signal that they are full due to the high fructose corn syrup.
If anything, this show is helping me make better choices for Erin. I tend to be a little more slack where she is concerned because she doesn't gain weight at all, and she is a picky eater, but this show helped me to see that it's the things I teach her now that will follow her through her life and if I don't want her to struggle with weight and health related issues caused by a poor diet I need to teach her now. There are only a few things in her diet that I can see need to be changed. She eats enriched white bread, really bad cheese, and sugary cereal. The difficult part of changing these things is that they are things David eats. I'm going to have him watch this show. Maybe it will open his eyes a little too. I can't complain much. He gave up soda two weeks ago. I'm pretty proud of him.
I'm thinking about getting "You The Owners Manual". Has anyone read it?

2 comments:

aola said...

Sounds really interesting. I love to read/watch shows about nutrition/health. I find it soooo fascinating. God made our bodies to function prefectly if we just give it the right things to function with.
He also made foods to perfectly provide what we needed but after 100's of years of soil depletion and chemicals we've messed that all up.
Stay on it with Erin. I was so careful with Levi's eating habits and (if it weren't for the sugar rebellion) he still has very good eating habits. He is thin as a rail and has a superhuman immune system.

Kristen said...

The sugar rebellion...that is so funny. Makes me think of "The Great Sugar Rebellion of 1992."

Anyway, I've heard "You: The Owner's Manual" is good!