Thursday, March 02, 2006

another question

I have a question, too.

My knees are in pretty bad shape, when I walk up stairs they creak and grind (sounds awful). I don't have a lot of pain in my knee but some....

I have started doing some knee bending type exerices, going very slowly. I know that any exercise and especially weight bearing exercise is good for the bone and also good for people with arthritis but how much is enough or too much? I shouldn't push to the point of being painful, should I ?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

You should deffinantly not be in pain! I've found that strengthening the muscles in the upper part of my leg has really helped where my knees are concearned. I've had juvenile arthritis in my knees since I was six and this is the best they have ever felt. I do leg curls and extensions, weighted squats, and abductor and aductor movements. I don't feel any of those in my knees when I am doing them.

Kristen said...

No pain, no gain....

JUST KIDDING!

A little creaking is normal, especially as you age. (My hips always pop when I get out of bed in the morning. It's kind of funny.)

Sandra is absolutely right. Strengthening the muscles around the knees can really help, but lighten up if you start having some bad joint pain. See your doc if you're very concerned.

R said...

Got on here to write what Sandra wrote -- when I blew out my knee running hurdles in high school, the exercise that helped the most was straight leg lifts. Lay on your back on the couch and floor, extend one leg and then begin to lift and raise it. Eventually, add ankle weights. It strenghtens the quads.