Thursday, March 23, 2006

Following in her footsteps? Weird eating patterns

I watched my mom cook a lot of meals, usually three a day for most of her married life, but I rarely saw her eat any of them. My mom is a snacker. She'd eat meals at restaurants, but even then she always walked out with leftovers to snack on later.

And, until now, I've always been a meal eater, unless I was completely unhealthy (read binging or starving). Three full meals each day, and in restaurants there were rarely leftovers. I've always been able to eat. Pregnancy has changed this, drastically. The only meal I eat, with more than one kind of food on my plate, is breakfast. Meals make me sick. So, I've become a snacker. A mandarin at 9, crackers at 11, yogurt at 1, a hardboiled egg at 3, and then I snack through whatever I'm making for dinner. My stomach doesn't feel big enough to hold any more at a time. It's weird.

Thus, I think I've found the answer to my mother's eternal snacking -- after four kids her stomach just never returned to normal and she kept the same eating patterns.

I have no idea why I'm posting this. I just think it's weird.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You could be right. I've heard many women say they have a hard time returning to their old eating patterns after pregnancy. Some people would say you are eating the way God intended (grazing rather than "binging" on three big meals each day). As long as it works for you...

aola said...

You are probably right. I never thought about but that is when I started eating smaller amounts more times a day. When I was pj I had to eat every 2 hours or be sick, usually crackers. I lived on crackers and Mylanta.