Monday, March 20, 2006

Falling Off the Wagon

Jeanne is right.

When i was teaching high school, I went to a conference where I attended a very memorable session on changing habits.

What applies to us is that, like Jeanne supposes, making the kind of changes we want is like learning to walk. Quitting any negative habit is a trial and error thing, but your intentions are a very important part of this process. The presenter substantiated his point by stating that of people who had long-term succcess in quitting cigarettes, a very large percentage had been "gearing up" for two years. That is, they had been talking to themselves about quitting, making starts at quitting, going back to it, and so on.

I am not sure we will be able to get around this, though we can do very well at this process overall. And I think togetherness helps. That said, today I am getting back on the wagon too.

Peace to Jeanne at your new job. I have given up worrying for lent! So I am totally with you today.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I have read about that, too. Many people have "false starts;" the important thing is to not become discouraged by them, but realize they are part of the learning and growing and changing process.

Sandra said...

I agree with this one hundred percent! I don't think most people can just wake up one morning and decide to quit anything and be successfull.
Dieting is even harder because you have to eat. With smoking or drinking, you can just avoid situations where that's going on, but no one can avoid eating.
I'm happy with whatever progress I make however slowly it may come.