Thursday, February 23, 2006

Random updates

I'm changing my fitness routine a little: I'll start lifting two days each week and running three days. Weekends will be off but J and I take a lot of walks on the weekends anyway. (When the weather gets warmer, we also play basketball and take walks on the weekday evenings.) As the weather gets better (not in the teens and twenties) in the morning, it's easier to get out there to run, so I want to do more of it! Jeanne and I are planning to walk (I might run a little, too, but we'll see) a half-marathon in September so we've got to start training for it.

Unfortunately, I have the hardest time waking up in the morning. My goal is to be up at 5:45 a.m. Monday through Friday. I am completely irrational in the morning; I can't concentrate or make any important, normal, rational decisions. I can talk myself out of working out so easily, even when I had an iron will the night before.

If anyone has any tips for me...HELP!

Two things I can't recommend enough: natural peanut butter (tons of healthy fat and protein with no added sugar or preservatives--you've gotta keep it in the fridge) and cottage cheese. Some people hate it, but I love it. I think it's so versatile--you can add fruit and make it a sweet treat or add peanut butter or pepper and make it a salty one. It love it for when I need protein, but don't feel like eating something heavy like meat. It also satisfies a dairy craving for me.

I'll be back later to post a really easy, all-natural, super-healthy protein pancake recipe...

4 comments:

aola said...

I don't like peanut butter but I do love cottage cheese.. with fruit or tomatoes or just plain with salt and pepper.

I'm the last person to give advice on anything to do with getting up early and doing anything. I can't even talk until I've been up a while and had coffee.

Sandra said...

I once ate cottage cheese for breakfast every day for six weeks. I can't even look at the stuff now. Maybe someday.
As far as waking up early, you just have to make yourself do it. I don't think there is any special trick to mak it any easier. Sorry. Make sure you go to bed early. That usually helps me. I don't wake up excited and ready to go, but I can at least roll out of bed and once I'm up I'm up. Start working out before you give yourself time to think about it. After a week, you'll probably be used to it.

Kristen said...

Thanks, gals!

Jeanne said...

I'm no help either, I'm afraid, since I like to get up early (unless I go to bed too late). Sorry, bebe.