Monday, January 02, 2006

Hi All,
Well, we survived day 1. It seems like a long time ago that this day started, though. Tomorrow I return to work and will begin incorporating this new lifestyle there. It will be fine, but I don't want to tell anyone there what I'm up to. Why? Because I want to cherish this. I really feel like this time it's gonna be different. With my family's full support this time, I think I'll be able to do it and keep it up. But for some reason it feels very precious to me and I don't want to share it with casual friends. Is that weird? I don't know. Plus, I have this secret desire to "melt away" in front of them. (Geez, am I turning in to Gollum?)
Last night, Jerry and I took our 'before' pics. Oh my...I had no idea. I had a different picture in my head of how heavy I am. I'm going to take pictures again the first of February, March and April to chart my progress. I'm hoping I'll see the changes and it will continue to be a motivator. I guess I'm a short-term rewards kind of girl. One of the things I admire so much about Kristen is that she is intrisically-motivated - she just gets satisfaction from accomplishing what she sets out to do. I am more extrinsically-motivated...I like the rewards from time to time, even if its just compliments.
Anyway, I need to be in bed in 20 minutes, so see ya.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Way to go on taking the picture and facing it! That is a difficult step. I don't think it's strange not to want to tell anyone at work. I think it's important to confide weight loss in those who are really close and can lend support. Others who may have good intentions can say things that wouldn't be helpfull at all. This is your journey. You have to do what works for you!

Kristen said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Sandra. Every word.

It's true, I'm pretty intrinsically motivated. But there are other things that are super motivating to me, too--feeling healthier and stronger, feeling like I can kick anyone's butt who tried to mess with me, making ex-boyfriends jealous. LOL

It doesn't really matter where your motivation comes from as long as it gets you to a good place in a healthy way. Make sense?

Anyway, did you think you were lighter or heavier than your picture? Don't get too discouraged about just the appearance aspect; you're doing the right thing by getting into shape.

Jeanne said...

Kristen, I thought I was lighter. And I'm embarrassed that I did. Honestly? I keep thinking...my family has had to look at this? Poor family. (That's a bad way to think, I know, but it's true that I thought it.) I am even more conscious of my butt size now than I ever was.