Tuesday, January 17, 2006

So...question for you gals...gonna be a long one

I realize we aren't all health experts or anything, but I have been thinking about tweaking my workout plan and wanted to get some input from you ladies.

As you know, I am following the Body for Life eating and exercise plan. The exercise segment calls for three weight lifting days (alternating lower and upper body) and three interval training cardio days. My question is in regard to the cardio.

I am doing what is called high intensity interval training (HIIT). In HIIT, you do high intensity intervals for a set number of seconds, followed by a period of "active recovery" (slower movement) in a ratio of one to two or one to three.

For example, I SPRINT as fast as I can for 20 seconds and then walk for 40 seconds (or 60 seconds, depending on the ratio I choose). I usually repeat the intervals 12 times. (I always do a 5-10 minute warm-up and cool-down/stretch.) Get the picture? You can also do this on a stationary bike or elliptical (basically any cardio machine).

(This is a little different from the Body for Life plan, but it is just another form of doing HIIT I learned through previous study.)

HIIT is great for people trying to lose fat who don't want to lose muscle with lots of steady state cardio (jogging or biking at a steady rate for 40 or more minutes). It's also very time-efficient. The higher the intensity, the more calories you burn during and after the exercise.

All of that to say...

It's only been two weeks, and so far I am liking the results of Body for Life. I have more energy, and my clothes are getting looser, especially in that all-important hip and thigh area. Other than a few crazy days (family birthdays, etc.), my eating has been very good. (Diet is a huge part of the fat loss equation, even more important than cardio, from what I've read.)

I'd like to tweak my cardio plan a little. Instead of doing HIIT three days per week, I'd like to go to HIIT two days per week and one day of steady state cardio (specifically a longer run or bicycle ride).

Reasons why:

-I've read that a mix of cardio intensities (low, medium and high) is good for you.

-I want to leave myself some "room to progress." I am doing all the HIIT my body can manage right now (it's so intense, you need a lot of rest afterward). If I moved to doing two HIITs each week and one SS cardio session and then later felt the need to step up my cardio, I could always add another HIIT session. At this point, I don't have a lot of room to challenge myself further (because I am already going 100%), and honestly I want to be doing the least amount of work I have to do to get the results I want. Make sense?

-I love running. Having the option of going for a longer, less-intense run on Sunday (at this point, I can only run during the weekends, since it's too dark to do so before or after work right now) instead of doing HIIT would be really great for me. HIIT leaves me too wasted to go for a run later in the day on Sunday even if I wanted to.

Reasons why I'm nervous to do so:

-I've been getting good results so far and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Sorry that was so long, but does anyone have any input or ideas?

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I think changing one of your HIIT days to a long run day would be good for two reasons. One, you enjoy a long run and two a long run will help with your endurance which you will probably see the benefit of in your HIIT. I don't really see any down side to it as long as your remain in your THR durring your workout you will still be burning calories. As you said, the benefit of HIIT is that it burns calories in a shorter amount of time so exchanging it for a long run would be equivilant. The run just takes more time to burn the same amount of calories, but you already know that stuff. You're a workout genuis! ( and after reading the post on your blog, it sounds like you already know that too.) :) hahaha :)

E. Michelle said...

Do what you feel like doing in this instance. there has to be some room for this or life will start to suck.

Kristen said...

LOL You guys are so awesome.

Sandra, I'm always trying to (nicely) tell my friends when I think they are doing crazy stuff working out. I'm a know-it-all! No! Hahahaha

Erica, you got that right, girl. Your brevity reminds me to not make a mountain out of a molehill.

aola said...

You know way more about this stuff than I do so I can only add that we are in this for the long haul so make it liveable.

Kristen said...

Very good point, Aola.

R said...

Well, all the running books I've read, recommend the mix of slow, long burn, and short, high burn. And, I've had way more success going longer, adding mileage, than going faster for shorter times. Longer running somehow does make me faster . . . go figure.

Jeanne said...

Hey, here's a little bit of perspective: the running thing is so enjoyable to you, how about if you make it your 'reward' for all the other stuff?