Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My hands are small, I know...

(Major points for you if you know who sings that line...)

I'm loving the Body for Life eating plan because you don't have to count calories. It's all about portion sizes. Six portions of lean protein and six portions of healthy carbs each day, and the portions are the size of your fist. And be sure to get your veggies.

I am eating better, cleaner than I ever thought I could or would. In fact, I ate a piece of nasty, greasy pizza the other day and it made me have a headache and stomachache. Not that pain is a good thing, but I feel like something in my body is finally getting it: this food is not good for you, even though you've been eating it all your life.

I used to count calories. But it got to the point where I was counting calories in every moment of my day. J would ask me, "Whatcha thinking about?" and I'd have to answer, "How many calories are in a Big Mac...." Kind of embarrassing. It was taking over my life.

However, calories are important. I've been really tired lately, so I calculated how much I was typically eating in a day on Body for Life. Ooops.

1350. Way too little for me. Like...500 calories too little.

I used to encourage my friends in college who I was teaching to play guitar, "Hey, if I can play this complicated chord with my tiny hands, you should be able to do it!" I should have remembered, I have small hands! I need to eat more!

Hopefully this will help me build lean muscle, power me through my workouts and my day, and keep me more energized than I have been lately.

4 comments:

aola said...

1350 isn't many calories...

I have been counting calories all my life so I don't have to think about it much unless I eat something new.

You are doing great!

R said...

I've never counted calories. Weird

Jeanne said...

Eat more, girl! I'm glad you checked it out...it's good to examine what we're doing. Sometimes we find we're eating too much, and sometimes we find we're eating too little. Love you.

Sandra said...

It's Jewl of course! LOVE HER and LOVE THAT SONG!

Your so smart to think of checking the calories when you were feeling low on energy. I'm sure the additional food will help you feel better and get the most out of your workouts!