Friday, January 06, 2006

This journey is about so much more than diet and exercise. It's about retraining the mind. I know diet lingo very well because of my work. Knowing it and accepting it are two different things. I got on the scale this morning to see that it hadn't moved. I know it's too early, but I couldn't help it. I'm an instant gratification kind of gal. Disapointed with the scale, I tried the body fat measurer and did find that I had lost .60 lbs of body fat, but my mind is stuck on the number the scale spit out. I tell myself that it's okay; my body is adjusting and I'm replacing fat with muscle. I tell myself that the number on the scale is only one small part of a very big picture. I feel better, my clothes are feeling loose, my body feels stronger. I tell myself these things, but making me believe them is another story. It's a process just as much as losing the weight is a process. There are times when I will slip and fall back into my "the scale is god" mindset, but I will not stay there. I will look at this post and remember that there is so much more involved than numbers on a scale.
Today and tomorrow will be tough. The weekends always are for me. I just keep reminding myself that Sunday is my free day. That reminds me of a Bangles song.."ohhh oooo ohhhh whish it were a Sunday. That's my fun day"...Gotta love the Bangles!

7 comments:

aola said...

I so agree with your post.

It has been kind of funny... the battery on our scale went dead a week or so ago. I went to Walmart to get a battery for it and bought the wrong one.. so, I haven't been able to weigh in over a week.
I pretty much have been jonesing to get on the scale but refuse to make a special trip to town just so I can weigh (and be disappointed).

I saved a pair of jeans from the last size I wore, when I can wear them comfortably I will be one happy Mama!

Kristen said...

I go by the way my clothing feels and my measurements. And I only check my measurements every four weeks or so. The scale is just so inaccurate, and you could be retaining water for any number of reasons, throwing the scale off even more. Of course, you know this, friend. You've got the knowledge; it's just a matter of accepting it that is hard. We've all been there!

Sandra said...

Thanks gilrs. I have several pair of "skinny to me" jeans that I keep. When I try them on and they fit things are good. :)

Jeanne said...

When I took my before pics, I had one pic with a pair of shorts that have absolutely NO extra in the waistline. I will try those on again in one month and the month after that, etc. My goal is that by summer (July here) I will not be able to wear them because they're falling off. The scale is my enemy. I stay away from it unless I'm at the doctors office and they make me. I'll have my womanly physical in April so I'll weigh then. I WILL see results and impress my doc. HA HA.

Kristen said...

Good way to approach this, Mom.

Sandra said...

I tried on all my jeans this morning and can fit into all of them! Some of them not so comfortably. I'm going to work on being able to wear the smallest size and still being able to breathe.

Jeanne said...

LOL. Yep, breathing IS important.