Friday, January 06, 2006

motivation

Yay for this group. I know you are adding so much motivation. power in numbers!!

Kristen, thanks for your kind comments. I am happy to be here.

okay, Sandra you are right on. fitness starts in the mind. I know this to be powerfully true from a different perspective) because I have had many seasons of poor mental health. it is extremely hard to do anything when you are depressed or anxious, because your mind is highly aware of its suffering and little else matters to it. All the things that make you feel balanced go out the window when you aren't well. chemical imbalance manifests in imbalance.

Interestingly enough, routine of every sort is now thought to combat clinical depression. Regular exercise actually diminishes the intensity (and maybe frequency and duration?) of both depression and anxiety. I think it's the endorphins.

These past two workouts have been like gold because I have been running at night. in the crisp air. Texas doesn't have crisp air in the daytime right now. I have LOVED my workouts and that is new for me. I am a little apprehensive because it can't possibly always be a glorious experience. I want to be in this for the long-haul and all the endorphins make it feel like a high instead of a chore-- so I feel like i am not really working out. I shouldn't complain about it, I know. I also probably shouldn't worry about liking something too much.

Even right now, baby asleep, I want to go run! But I am saving it for tonight.

For me, exercising like this is a big deal because it is coming relatively easily and that means my brain is working pretty well for me. and that is a big huge wonderful deal. I know this is true, too- because I was able to organize my closet with an ease I haven't felt for a really long time. Organization is also a function first of the brain.

I know this is a lot. thanks for reading and being such a suportive group.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

"I am a little apprehensive because it can't possibly always be a glorious experience." This comment made me laugh out loud, Erica. I have soooo felt this way before. Why is it that we melancholies can't just roll with it and have fun?

Enjoy it while it lasts and hold onto that joy when the rough time comes.

I'm glad you are on your way to better mental health.

aola said...

It's really cool that you are enjoying it so much.

Enjoy!!

Jeanne said...

I have been doing a Bible Study on the book "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. We've been going thru it slowly so we can really work on applying each truth. I believe too that what we think is deeply tied to how we live. Even when we don't know what we're thinking...it's like when we thought our bodies were something other than they are. That's why this group is so important. We don't all see each other's bodies, but we can see the person inside. Then we can objectively help the other people pursue their weight and fitness goals. And other goals as well.

Jeanne said...

Not that I have it all together in this department, mind you.

Sandra said...

Erica,
I have been working out consistantly for a year and a half now. (there have been times when I've missed a week or two when I was sick our on vacation but never more than that) I can tell you that there are days when I am so excited to work out and have all the energy I need to make it through a workout and then some. There are other days when my feet feel like lead. Yesterday was on of those days. I do it anyway. One thing I've learned is that regardless of how it feels or how motivated I am, a workout is better than no workout if for no other reason that keeping the routine. I follow a little rule when I really don't want to move my butt. I make myself do it for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I still want to quit then I let myself quit, but I haven't quit yet. Usually after the 10 minutes I figure "what the heck might as well finish it".
I hope that you continue to stay mentally strong and have many runs where you feel this glorious. I hope too that even when you don't feel this glorious you will find the strength to push through it.
I am so glad you've joined us here!