Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Question

My lower body workout was killer today. My dad was in the garage working out with me, and he was cute. He was doing a bunch of army stretches he probably learned when he was a soldier in the Vietnam era (thankfully, he ended up in Korea, not Vietnam, guarding the border during the war).

I'm about to go downstairs (I'm working from home today) to make myself some delicious stir fry veggies along with a whole wheat tortilla and some lean steak leftover from last night. Yum!

Question for you ladies: have you ever heard of menstrual suppression? Here's a little info at this website: www.noperiod.com. Basically you take birth control pills, but skip the last week (where you would start your period). The thinking is, since your birth control pills keep the lining of your uterus very thin (the reason you have a period is to get rid of the thick lining, which builds up to get ready for a fertilized egg), you don't need to have a period for months at a time if you don't wish to. Many women skip their periods for three months or even years at a time without side effects--other than the good ones, like not having a period, no cramps, bloating, etc.

Anyway, I know this isn't a fitness thing, but it's health-related, and something I've been thinking about (I get two or three migraines a month right before I start) and something my doctor suggested.

Any thoughts?

7 comments:

E. Michelle said...

although my natural inclinations sway me away from this initially, I have actually heard an interesting argument in its favor... this is that there are no medicinal benefits to menstruating as often as every month and that, historically, women have not done so. Supposedly, we do because we have such good nutrition--- although the thinking I then have is that the thing our bodies do when we are well-nourished seem like healthy ideas to me. But then, OTOH, there is such a thing as too well-nourished... too many calories, etc. over nourished?
If you can avoid migraines this way, I would try it.

R said...

My first response is like Erica's -- sounds unnatural, but we start menustrating earlier and we don't carry as many babies -- so, try it and see if it helps.

Sandra said...

I spent an hour looking through articles about menstrual suppression this morning. It seems we are not the only ones torn on the subject. What I did find that most people agreed upon is that more research needs to be done, but that in the mean time it is good for those women of have severe menstrual cycles. I think that 3 to 4 migrains puts you in that catagory.

Kristen said...

Thank you, ladies. I feel torn about it, too. The doctor first brought this up last year during my yearly exam, so I've been thinking about it ever since last January. Especially in the middle of my migraines. Ha.

I don't like putting unnatural things in my body anyway, but at this point, this is the only BC method the husband is willing to do. It's frustrating, but who knows? Maybe this will be the (complicated) answer to my problems.

Jeanne said...

My personal opinion: don't mess with how God made things to work.
I wonder too, if the build up just sits there...are there health risks of toxic shock or anything like that? (forgive my ignorance, it this is a stupid question.)

R said...

With you on the bc method, I met unnatural about missing menustration

Kristen said...

Yeah, I knew what you meant, Becky. I should have clarified...even bc seems a little unnatural to me. Putting hormones in my body. Stopping menstruating seems like that to me, too, and yet...the more I research it, the more it doesn't seem too odd.

Mom, no, no risk of toxic shock really. Toxic shock is more about bacteria than build up. BC pills keep build-up extremely low/thin. Menstruating is what causes the build up to start again, so without it, the build up won't start.